Run quietly

Run quietly

Thursday, February 4, 2016

So it Seems to Have Been a While......

Maybe it is about time for a post? Seems my last one was seven months ago! SEVEN! Oops. :p

Way too much has gone down. But a fast once over would be to say I applied on a whim to University thinking this would get me out of the rut I was in. Well, long story short, I had no idea that University was ALL theory. The program I was in anyway. To say my eyes were constantly rolling into the back of my head during the lectures is an understatement. If I am going to learn something, and dedicate that much time and MONEY$$$ to something, I hope to be learning something useful! Interesting at least? Too much to ask? How about something that is going to help me help others. "If it does not excite you, it is not the right path." I was definitely not excited about anything the program had to offer. I have kept my online Introduction to Psychology course, as it is actually interesting, and I enjoy learning about some of the concepts. 

Like most things I do, when I study, it is extreme.
 
 
I then thought, well college possibly? It is more applied, and would suit me more? Here's the thing with me. I am an introvert. I also feel I have less emotional energy on reserve than most people seem to. (Or they are just really good at hiding it!). A career as a Child and Youth worker (the program I had in mind) would most likely drain me to the point where I had nothing left for my own kids. I can barely handle 8 hours straight with my own family or friends, let alone 8 hours, 5x a week with traumatized children. I need my recharge/quiet time like I need food!
 
It became apparent that my perspective needed to change. I will shape my career around my lifestyle and not the other way around. I have all the things I could want! I am grateful I get to spend my days with my kids. I get to be there before and after school for my son. I have fantastic clients that I get to catch up with every time they come to get their hair done. I need to focus on what is in front of me, as I would say I have a pretty solid base to go on. :)
 

I knew some would judge me on my decision. But that is ok. :)

I ran my 1:25 half in September! EEK! I have wanted to see that time (or lower) for YEARS. Pregnant dreaming of the day, breastfeeding babies dreaming of the day..... and BOOM! Goal finally attained. The support of my Grand River Endurance teammates was crucial! You can train your body all you want. But if your mind is not strong and does not believe you can do it, well then you won't. I was convinced it was mine! ;) They helped me all through the season to build my mental strength and even made sure I had pre race pep talks! The best team. :) #thinkfastbefast

If I need to feel badass, I look at this picture. HA!
 
I knocked off another running goal in December in Negril, Jamaica! I went into the Reggae Half Marathon with the goal to win. Last year I was 3rd, and I really wanted to try and break the tape! (Something I have never done in a half marathon before!). It was HOT. Too much information, but after the race my urine was the colour of tomato juice. My kidneys were probably not too happy. I chugged back Jamaica's version of Gatorade, something I would normally NEVER touch, but the tomato juice was rather alarming! All was good though after a few hours and lots of rehydrating. Phew. That race is a must do destination race in my opinion. So much fun!
 
 
2015 was good to me. I cannot complain. Lots of personal growth and self discovery is success to me. Those are the successes that you generally cannot measure or see, but ultimately they are the most important. If 2016 had a single title or goal for me it would simply be to be abundantly happy. Happy in where I am, where I am going, and what I am capable of. If I can achieve this then my kids benefit, and my life as a whole will be fuller. More books, more learning, more miles to run, and more firsts and PB's to achieve! If my 2016 had a hashtag, no doubt it would be #relentlessforwardmotion.
 
I will try and post more too. I guess. ;)
 
And if you read all the way to the end of this narcissistic post, then thank you! You are a good person. Teehee.
 
What has 2016 brought to you so far?!
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. 2016 did not start out on the right foot for me, but I'm hoping to turn it around real soon! I did take a trip to California to run the Star Wars Half marathon and that was a blast! Looking forward to training for my first marathon (May) and hopefully learning more about myself along the way. :)

    Love the update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your pics looked so fun Crystal! I am very excited to follow your journey to your first marathon!

      Delete
  2. A love for swimming (ha ha)
    A forced one.....
    A goal to once again better myself at something.
    I will always say, things happen for a reason, genetic deformities and all....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always do your best Lisa! And with a good attitude. :) That always makes it easier! Even if it doesn't seem like it at first. :)

      Delete
  3. Not narcissistic at all, you're just letting us know what's going on. Thanks! :) Can't wait to see what 2016 brings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! Me too! Hopefully I will be reunited with you and Alison at some point!

      Delete