Run quietly

Run quietly

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Work hard, but stay humble

I got some fantastic news the other day. It was via e-mail, and I read it while at the library with my kids. On our way out to the car, my daughter tripped and fell. I was so busy day dreaming about the news in the e-mail, that I totally missed the fall (even though she was right beside me), and I stepped on her arm. That's right, I stepped on my 2 year old. I also dropped all the books, but thankfully not on her!

Small things in life will pop up to teach us lessons. Sometimes they are big things. If we learn to be intuitive enough to catch the smaller things, I like to think that the catastrophic lessons can be minimized or avoided. Or that's what I tell myself at least to feel better ;).  When I was younger there were times I used to think "why does this keep happening?" or "why is this not changing?". As an adult thankfully I have learned that things never go away until they have taught us the lesson we need to learn. The paradox here is that you won't learn the lesson until you are ready and willing to.




Running has taught me a great deal about myself, about life, humility, and hard work. While it would be easy for me to prescribe running to the world as a "natural anti-depressant", a perfect "find yourself" pathway, or an easy feat in any aspect, I won't be so na├»ve. Everyone has a different path. Like any workplace or group of friends, there are always a few who will abuse the system. Or miss the mark entirely.

 I was excited when I completed my last 30km run of my Around the Bay training cycle. The plan that has led me to this point (without injury!) calls for a 2 week taper. This simply means reduced volume. Letting my body repair, gain strength, and feel fresh on race day. I received some backlash online regarding a taper period. I was taken back at first, as generally the running community is the most supportive group I have come across. Have they not started somewhere once too? Is there something wrong with me wanting to do well at something I have dedicated this amount of time to? It got me thinking about the downsides of running and racing. Sometimes people forget where they have come from. They forget that not everyone is a marathoner, an ironman,  runs a 4:10 kilometre, or is even thinking about the "prizes" available at the finish line. Some have a goal simply to finish, and this will be life changing for them. Some compete in the races for the fun and camaraderie of the sport. Some have raised money for a charity or cause that is close to their heart. So when I come across those who seem to have forgotten these simple things, it makes me sad. What happened to being humble? Humility? Even transparency?

The e-mail I read at the library that day informed me that I was accepted into the Toronto Yonge Street 10km Sub-Elite category. I then stepped on my 2 year old while thinking about it. Brutal. If that wasn't a perfect sign shot at me to KEEP IT REAL! Or STAY HUMBLE!? Or maybe it was just an accident. Either way, It certainty made me immediately think about what really is most important at that moment.

I am continuously learning that whatever I do, work HARD, but always remember how far I have come. Not everything has been or will always be easy. And the best things will come after you have tackled many, many obstacles. The key is to stay humble, choose happiness, and keep going.

  

4 comments:

  1. Another great post, Heather! I agree that while the running community is extremely supportive the majority of the time, on occasion I think some forget that others have different goals and are at different stages. A good example of this recently was the NIKE race positive / negative feedback. I find I do hesitate admitting my slow times or relative newbie status...while with my non-running friends and family, I get oohs and aahs with every milestone. Funny, isn't it? Congrats on the sub-elite invite! That's so awesome. And, I must say that you have been nothing but inspiring and accepting of this newbie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Cathy! Not everyone is a marathoner, (or ironman, etc) or cares to be one. Everyone has different goals. Sounds like you have a very supportive family. :) Your determination and obvious drive to succeed will take you far !

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this.
    I LOVE to run.
    I will never be the fastest and I don't strive for it.
    I am getting faster, because I am getting stronger.
    And that makes me proud of me.
    I have never felt more accepted into something as I do in the running world. I feel supported with every run/race/good day/bad day.
    I will always stay humble because running is something I thought I could never do. But my body told me different. :)
    You my friend, inspire me each and everyday....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet Lisa. So grateful to have met you! You are doing great ! xo

      Delete